Specialty Doctor - South Glos Recovery South Team
- Main area
- General Adult Psychiatry
- Specialty Doctor
- Part time - 6 sessions per week
- Job ref
- Kingswood Civic Centre
- £52,530 - £82,400 per annum, pro-rata
- Salary period
- Today at 23:59
We are seeking a part time Specialty Doctor to join the South Gloucestershire Recovery South Team. This is post has become vacant due to the current incumbent returning to training.
The recovery services in South Gloucestershire operate between 9:00am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday, five days a week.
The post holder will join a well established multi-disciplinary team which is integrated with the local social services.
This post offers the opportunity to gain clinical experience in treating a wide array of clinical conditions; to work with a variety of patients in a variety of settings both urban and rural and to gain experience in treatments with a focus on using complex/combination interventions in patients who appear to ‘be stuck’ with in services.
The post includes one hour per week protected supervision time with the Consultant. Attendance at the weekly postgraduate programme is encouraged.
We are committed to your development, making the very best of your talent and helping you to achieve your career aspirations.
You will need to have completed at least four years’ full-time postgraduate training (or its equivalent gained on a part-time or flexible basis) at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in Psychiatry or as a fixed term specialty trainee in Psychiatry; or shall have equivalent experience and competencies.
Main duties of the job
As the post holder will work with the Consultant Psychiatrist and Specialist Doctor to be responsible for medical input to the cases on the recovery team caseload, this will include pre-existing cases and assessing new referrals from the Liaison Team.
The main duties of the post are;
- To assess and treat service users in the community and in a clinic.
- To attend weekly CMHT MDT meeting and to support the team with medical input as required.
- To arrange and participate in CPA meetings for service users.
- Undertake urgent psychiatric assessments when necessary.
- To liaise with other parts of the service and GPs and non NHS organisations wherever applicable.
- To write up notes using the Trusts Electronic Record system RIO.
- Ensure effective and timely documentation and communication of clinical decision making and management plans
- The post holder is expected to seek Section 12 approval, but this is not a requirement of the post as there is no on call commitment for this job.
- To undertake 5-6 cases on average per week, dealing with cases allocated to Consultant’s and Specialist Doctor's caseloads.
Working for our organisation
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
- MB BS or equivalent medical
- Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Section 12 Approval
- Eligible for Full GMC registration with a licence to practise at time of confirmation of appointment.
- Completed at least four years’ full-time postgraduate training (or its equivalent gained on a part-time or flexible basis) at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in Psychiatry or as a fixed term specialty trainee in Psychiatry; or shall have equivalent experience and competencies.
- Ability to manage own time and workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
- Up to date knowledge of issues in Mental Health Service for this specialty.
Teaching SkillsEssential criteria
- Commitment to teaching other members of the multi disciplinary team.
- Teaching of undergraduate students
- PGCME or equivalent/aspiration to attain a postgraduate teaching qualification
Research and AuditEssential criteria
- Ability to critically appraise published research.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project
- Experience in involvement in a research project and publication.
- Interest in research
We are proud to be fostering a diverse workforce that reflects our communities. A key commitment to this is improving staff representation from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, those from the LGBTQ+ communities, people with ‘lived-experience’ of mental health conditions and people living with disabilities,– we are a ‘Disability Confident Employer’ offering a guaranteed interview to Disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
We encourage applications from people who wish to work on a flexible basis, recognising that flexibility may mean a range of different working patterns and hours, we do our utmost to work with our staff to meet their needs and the needs of our service users.
Please apply to join us, we would love to hear from you. Any personal details you supply to us are kept safe in line with the General Data Protection Regulations.
Adverts normally close for application a few minutes before midnight on the closing date and we will let you know if we are offering you an interview by email via our recruitment system ‘TRAC’. We contact all applicants within 4 weeks after the closing date, so please check your emails regularly once you have submitted your application; you are welcome to contact us, via the TRAC system, if you have any queries about your application.
Employer certification / accreditation badges
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
- Job Description and Person Spec (PDF, 821.6KB)
- Standard Pre-Employment Checks (PDF, 203.3KB)
- Benefits Leaflet (PDF, 449.6KB)
- Value of the NHS Pension Scheme (PDF, 97.5KB)
- Applicant Guidance (PDF, 228.5KB)
- Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers List (PDF, 78.9KB)
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Avneet Sharma
- Job title
- Consultant Psychiatrist
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0117 378 4620
- Additional information
Rebecca Bishop, Team manager Rebecca.email@example.com