Locum Consultant Psychiatrist - Specialised Services (Offender Health)
- Main area
- Prison Psychiatry
- Locum Consultant Psychiatrist
- Fixed term: 12 months
- Part time - 5 sessions per week
- Job ref
- Bybrook Lodge, Blackbery Hill Hospital
- £93,666 - £126,281 per annum pro rata
- Salary period
- 27/09/2023 23:59
We are seeking a Consultant Psychiatrist to join the community mental health team at HMP Eastwood Park.
This post has become available as the consultant psychiatrist currently in post has reduced their working hours with a view to retiring in June 2024.
The post is for 5PA weekly, with a fixed term of one year.
Successful applicants for this fixed-term post will be well placed to apply for a 10PA weekly (negotiable) substantive consultant post within the service in early 2024.
The role of the post holder within the Prison Mental Health Service will be to work alongside the current substantive, part time Consultant Psychiatrist (0.6 WTE) in providing clinical leadership and assurance for the prison community mental health team.
The post holder is expected to provide specialist assessment and management recommendations for patients, and to provide clinical support to the mental health/wellbeing teams.
The psychiatrists within the teams do not carry individual caseloads as such but will be expected to jointly manage patients with the allocated registered practitioner from the team, until such time as psychiatric involvement is no longer clinically indicated.
Substance misuse care is provided by AWP (psychosocial) and PPG (clinical aspects).
The post holder will not be expected to undertake any substitute prescribing.
Physical health assessment and monitoring of patients is provided by GP and primary care colleagues (in the form of both Unscheduled and Planned Care Teams) from PPG.
Main duties of the job
Mental health act aspects of this role relate to patients that require transfer from prison to psychiatric hospital under Part III of the act or patients that require ‘civil’ assessments, under Part II, at the point of their release from the prison.
The post holder will be expected to provide clinical supervision, but not line management, to the team’s non-medical prescribers and junior doctors.
- The Consultant will deliver direct interventions to service users at a level of intensity according to need including those service users who require an assertive approach who are difficult to engage. This will include on-going assessment, diagnoses (including review and clarification) and treatment of mental and physical health needs.
- To provide advice to members of the multi-disciplinary prison community mental health team, including through regular attendance at the weekly Team MDT meetings.
- To hold CPA meetings for clients in need of secondary care.
- To visit patients on the prison wings, with the support of a member of the mental health team, if the client is unable to attend Pathways (a Unit akin to a GP practice within the prison) if clinically indicated.
- To liaise with other parts of the service and GPs and non NHS organisations wherever applicable.
- To liaise with the Community and Inpatient services as appropriate to facilitate the smooth handover of clients between services.
- To actively participate in team and personal caseload management and supervision.
Working for our organisation
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care.
We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing.
The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Additional clinical qualifications.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT.
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry Psychiatry or Forensic Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a inpatient and community setting.
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in custodial/prison/Forensic settings.
Personal SkillsEssential criteria
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Clinical SkillsEssential criteria
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
- Knowledge of alternatives to inpatient admission care approaches.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and AuditEssential criteria
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
We are proud to be fostering a diverse workforce that reflects our communities. A key commitment to this is improving staff representation from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, those from the LGBTQ+ communities, people with ‘lived-experience’ of mental health conditions and people living with disabilities,– we are a ‘Disability Confident Employer’ offering a guaranteed interview to Disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
We encourage applications from people who wish to work on a flexible basis, recognising that flexibility may mean a range of different working patterns and hours, we do our utmost to work with our staff to meet their needs and the needs of our service users.
Please apply to join us, we would love to hear from you. Any personal details you supply to us are kept safe in line with the General Data Protection Regulations.
Adverts normally close for application a few minutes before midnight on the closing date and we will let you know if we are offering you an interview by email via our recruitment system ‘TRAC’. We contact all applicants within 4 weeks after the closing date, so please check your emails regularly once you have submitted your application; you are welcome to contact us, via the TRAC system, if you have any queries about your application.
Employer certification / accreditation badges
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
- 342-LORVN029-SSC-PP - Locum Consultant - Eastwood Park 5PA - Job description (PDF, 867.0KB)
- Standard Pre-Employment Checks (PDF, 203.3KB)
- Benefits Leaflet (PDF, 449.6KB)
- Value of the NHS Pension Scheme (PDF, 97.5KB)
- Applicant Guidance (PDF, 228.5KB)
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Panos Prevezanos
- Job title
- Consultant Psychiatrist & Medical Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01249 767851
- Additional information
We would welcome the opportunity to meet with any interested candidates prior to the interviews or submission of an application.
To discuss the post further or to arrange a visit to the hospital or community facilities please contact:
Dr Charlotte Illingworth - firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Panos Prevezanos - email@example.com