Consultant Psychiatrist - Eating Disorders Psychiatry
- Main area
- Eating Disorders Psychiatry
- Consultant Psychiatrist
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Job ref
- Blackbery Hill Hospital
- £88,364 - £119,133 per annum
- 07/06/2023 23:59
We are seeking a Consultant Psychiatrist to join the STEPS eating disorder service. This post is to replace one of the team’s current consultants, who is due to move abroad.
The post holder will be based at the STEPS specialist eating disorder unit. They will form part of a team of three consultants working for the service, alongside a full-time consultant based at the STEPS community team, and a part-time consultant sharing their clinical time between both inpatient and community teams.
They will be additionally supported by SAS grade and training grade medical colleagues as detailed above.
As the post holder will have a very high level of peer support available to them, the post would be particularly suitable for new consultants, as well as consultants with limited previous experience in eating disorders who wish to develop their interest in the sub-specialty.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will offer direct psychiatric care to inpatients at the STEPS specialist eating disorder unit. This would include psychiatric assessment, diagnostic formulation and treatment planning.
The post holder will also share MHA responsible clinician responsibility for the STEPs inpatient unit with the other service consultant.
The post holder will work collaboratively with members of the inpatient multi-disciplinary team, both in planned (e.g. MDT and CPA meetings) and ad hoc (e.g. professional discussions) contexts.
The post holder will also work collaboratively with health and social care professionals outside the STEPs service, as well as third sector professionals, whenever this is appropriate for the service user’s needs.
There will be opportunities to engage in psychotherapeutic work with service users and to facilitate evidence-based interventions for eating disorder.
Working for our organisation
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset.
Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a inpatient and community setting.
- Experience of assessing and treating patients with eating disorders and comorbid substance misuse problems
Personal SkillsEssential criteria
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Clinical SkillsEssential criteria
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Ability to assess and treat adults, children or young people with eating disorders
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
- Knowledge of alternatives to inpatient admission care approaches.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and AuditEssential criteria
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
We are proud to be fostering a diverse workforce that reflects our communities. A key commitment to this is improving staff representation from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, those from the LGBTQ+ communities, people with ‘lived-experience’ of mental health conditions and people living with disabilities,– we are a ‘Disability Confident Employer’ offering a guaranteed interview to Disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
We encourage applications from people who wish to work on a flexible basis, recognising that flexibility may mean a range of different working patterns and hours, we do our utmost to work with our staff to meet their needs and the needs of our service users.
Please apply to join us, we would love to hear from you. Any personal details you supply to us are kept safe in line with the General Data Protection Regulations.
Adverts normally close for application a few minutes before midnight on the closing date and we will let you know if we are offering you an interview by email via our recruitment system ‘TRAC’. We contact all applicants within 4 weeks after the closing date, so please check your emails regularly once you have submitted your application; you are welcome to contact us, via the TRAC system, if you have any queries about your application.
Employer certification / accreditation badges
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
- RVN027-SSC-PP STEPS Inpatient Post Final Job description (PDF, 867.8KB)
- Standard Pre-Employment Checks (PDF, 203.3KB)
- Benefits Leaflet (PDF, 449.6KB)
- Value of the NHS Pension Scheme (PDF, 97.5KB)
- Applicant Guidance (PDF, 228.5KB)
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Panos Prevezanos
- Job title
- Medical Lead, Specialised Services
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 07514 915422
- Additional information
We would welcome the opportunity to meet with any interested candidates prior to the interviews or submission of an application. To discuss the post further and arrange to visit the team base please contact:
Dr Panos Prevezanos email@example.com Tel: 07514 915422
Dr Fran Burton firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0117 414 6645
Dr Kate Murphy email@example.com Tel: 07507711368