Consultant Psychiatrist - Bristol Older Adult Inpatient Services
- Main area
- Old Age Psychiatry
- Consultant Psychiatrist
- Part time
- Job share
- Job ref
- Aspen Ward, Callington Road Hospital
- £93,666 - £126,281 per annum, pro-rata
- Salary period
- 10/10/2023 23:59
We are seeking a part time Consultant Psychiatrist to join the Bristol Older Adult Inpatient Services in Bristol. This post has become vacant due to the current incumbent retiring.
This post is a job share with another 0.6 WTE consultant psychiatrist.
This post is based in Aspen ward, at Callington Road Hospital, a mixed sex open acute ward for 20 older patients with functional mental disorders.
The service provides highly specialist assessment and treatment to service users whose circumstances or needs mean they cannot be treated and supported appropriately at home or in any other environment.
You will be expected to provide clinical leadership to the multi-disciplinary team. This post is supported by F2 trainees, a core trainee and potentially an advanced trainee. We are currently recruiting a Specialty Doctor for the ward.
You will be encouraged and supported in developing the appropriate management and leadership skills to fully participate in service developments and will be encouraged to contribute to other relevant management activities within the Directorate and within AWP.
We offer one of the most competitive and flexible benefits packages.
Bristol is a great place to live and work and has easy travel routes across the country via the M4 and M5, There are two principal railway stations in Bristol and an airport.
Main duties of the job
As the consultant on Aspen Ward you will provide care to patients from the South Gloucestershire area alongside a Consultant colleague who will cover the Bristol area.
The team gets on average 8-10 referrals a month. A weekly multidisciplinary team meeting is held once a week with input from the community team and the local social services. You will be expected to help prioritise admissions, ensure the efficient use of inpatient resources, attend care planning meetings and supervise junior medical staff.
Callington Road Hospital houses the E.C.T. service for patients from the western half of the Trust. You will have the opportunity to contribute to running the twice weekly E.C.T clinics but it is not obligatory. This might include advising colleagues about E.C.T, administering treatment, supervising trainees and ensure adherence to the standards stipulated by the Royal College`s E.C.T.A.S. service.
Working for our organisation
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in old age Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in an inpatient setting.
Personal SkillsEssential criteria
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Clinical SkillsEssential criteria
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in older adults and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and AuditEssential criteria
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
We are proud to be fostering a diverse workforce that reflects our communities. A key commitment to this is improving staff representation from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, those from the LGBTQ+ communities, people with ‘lived-experience’ of mental health conditions and people living with disabilities,– we are a ‘Disability Confident Employer’ offering a guaranteed interview to Disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
We encourage applications from people who wish to work on a flexible basis, recognising that flexibility may mean a range of different working patterns and hours, we do our utmost to work with our staff to meet their needs and the needs of our service users.
Please apply to join us, we would love to hear from you. Any personal details you supply to us are kept safe in line with the General Data Protection Regulations.
Adverts normally close for application a few minutes before midnight on the closing date and we will let you know if we are offering you an interview by email via our recruitment system ‘TRAC’. We contact all applicants within 4 weeks after the closing date, so please check your emails regularly once you have submitted your application; you are welcome to contact us, via the TRAC system, if you have any queries about your application.
Employer certification / accreditation badges
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
- 342-RVN031-BNSSG-JK (PDF, 858.3KB)
- Standard Pre-Employment Checks (PDF, 203.3KB)
- Benefits Leaflet (PDF, 449.6KB)
- Value of the NHS Pension Scheme (PDF, 97.5KB)
- Applicant Guidance (PDF, 228.5KB)
- Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers List (PDF, 78.9KB)
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Jacek Kolsut
- Job title
- Medical Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0117 955 6098
- Additional information
Secretary: Sharon Thomas
Tel: 0117 955 6098 / 0117 472 8241