Consultant Psychiatrist - Bristol Acute Inpatient Services
- Main area
- General Adult Psychiatry
- Consultant Psychiatrist
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Job ref
- Oakwood Ward, Southmead Hospital
- £88,364 - £119,133 per annum
- Salary period
- 28/06/2023 23:59
We are looking for a Consultant to provide leadership to Oakwood Ward, a dynamic acute unit with 23 beds, based at Southmead Hospital, Bristol.
The ward embraces the challenges of Acute Psychiatry. It is a psychologically informed environment working in a truly multi-disciplinary model. The team are motivated to work on ways to improve the quality of the service, developing and carrying out quality improvement projects; strive to offer the best possible care and enabling patients and carers to pursue recovery.
The ward has RCPsych Accreditation and good CQC feedback.
Main duties of the job
You will lead on daily ward reviews providing visible and accessible support to the SAS doctor, junior doctor and nursing team.
This post is evolving new ways of working to include systems for consultant time to be focused on those patients that need senior medical input so that decision-making, treatment and discharge planning, and liaison with the Intensive (Crisis) team happens promptly. To support this, the consultant will not have responsibilities outside of this team, other than attending some CPD activities or interface meetings with other teams.
You will be encouraged and supported to be involved in service leadership and management and to develop an area of special clinical interest in line with service needs.
We offer one of the most competitive and flexible benefits packages.
Bristol is a great place to live and work and has easy travel routes across the country via the M4 and M5, There are two principal railway stations in Bristol and an airport.
Working for our organisation
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in an inpatient setting.
Personal SkillsEssential criteria
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Clinical SkillsEssential criteria
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and AuditEssential criteria
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
We are proud to be fostering a diverse workforce that reflects our communities. A key commitment to this is improving staff representation from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, those from the LGBTQ+ communities, people with ‘lived-experience’ of mental health conditions and people living with disabilities,– we are a ‘Disability Confident Employer’ offering a guaranteed interview to Disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
We encourage applications from people who wish to work on a flexible basis, recognising that flexibility may mean a range of different working patterns and hours, we do our utmost to work with our staff to meet their needs and the needs of our service users.
Please apply to join us, we would love to hear from you. Any personal details you supply to us are kept safe in line with the General Data Protection Regulations.
Adverts normally close for application a few minutes before midnight on the closing date and we will let you know if we are offering you an interview by email via our recruitment system ‘TRAC’. We contact all applicants within 4 weeks after the closing date, so please check your emails regularly once you have submitted your application; you are welcome to contact us, via the TRAC system, if you have any queries about your application.
Employer certification / accreditation badges
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
- RVN788-JK (PDF, 1006.4KB)
- Standard Pre-Employment Checks (PDF, 203.3KB)
- Benefits Leaflet (PDF, 449.6KB)
- Value of the NHS Pension Scheme (PDF, 97.5KB)
- Applicant Guidance (PDF, 228.5KB)
- Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers List (PDF, 78.9KB)
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Phillip Charles
- Job title
- Medical Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number